New Grad - Sales Development Representative - Academy Program
The Elevator Pitch: Why will you enjoy this opportunity?
Working with the Security Business Unit Sales Development Team, you will be the tip of the spear when it comes to identifying and qualifying sales opportunities. You will use a combination of phone, email, LinkedIn, and direct mail to help build the sales pipeline by connecting with prospective customers, understanding their unique needs, and identifying the best way to position VMWare Carbon Black. If you are looking to master your sales skills in an environment that fosters continuous growth while giving you ample learning opportunities, then this is the team.
Success in the role: What are the performance goals the first 6-12 months that you will work toward completing?
First 30 days:
- Attend a 2-week comprehensive training and learn the VMWare Carbon Black story, how we work and our goals for the future
- Experience in-depth product training both on the products we sell, as well as the products we use internally on a day-to-day basis
- Have 1:1 meetings with your direct manager and team meetings with your team
- Shadow colleagues and start creating your own workflow and strategy
- Hit the phones and schedule your first meeting with a target account!
First 60 days:
- Continue to improve day to day strategy
- Foster a strong understanding of the industry and the people you’ll be reaching out to in order to create messaging that will resonate with them and help you achieve your goals.
- Understand our internal ecosystem and be able to collaborate cross-functionally
- Build upon your relationship with Account Executives and develop a territory plan
- Continue to learn and improve upon prospecting tactics
- Schedule meetings that convert to pipeline through well-crafted prospecting messages
- Continue to learn about the ever-changing industry
- Work toward hitting a fully ramped quota
First 90 days:
- Master prospecting tactics and techniques
- Be crushing your quota
- Work with your manager to identify a plan of continued growth
- Feel confident to continuously bring your thinking, strategy and ideas to the team
The Work: What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
You can expect a variety of the following:
- Weekly you will be responsible to hit specific KPIs ranging anywhere from 200-400 cold calls and 350-500 emails. (Varies based on segment).
- Generate quality meetings that convert into active pipeline for the sales organization.
- Partake in weekly ‘building block’ meetings where you will work to improve your product knowledge, sales skills, SDR specific skills, etc.
- Learn the VMWare Carbon Black products and messaging.
- Learn the tools necessary to be successful: CRM, scripts, WebEx, product info
- Build relationships with your inside, field, and sales engineering counterparts and strategize on an effective territory plan.
- Leverage any opportunity you can to learn the market and the business.
- Coordinate and communicate with a variety of internal teams such as Account Executives, Sales Engineers, and Field Marketing
What is leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
The hiring managers for these roles are Julie Peterson, Allison Barnaby and Cara Corvino. They each look after a team of 8-10 SDRs located in either the Denver/Boulder or Boston area. They have all been at VMWare for over three years and started their careers as SDRs years prior. They bring a variety of diverse skills to the team and value constant growth on the sales floor. The team encourages learning from others, being collaborative and sharing new ideas.
Where is this role located?
This role is based out of VMware’s Waltham or Boulder offices and open to candidates in the surrounding areas. Once the offices have reopened, work will be done from the offices some days during the week and other days from a non–VMware building or home office.
What are the minimum requirements?
- Completing Bachelor’s degree in Winter 2021 or Spring 2022
- Available to start in July 2022
- This job requisition is not eligible for employment-based immigration sponsored by VMware
What are the benefits and perks of working at VMWare?
You and your loved ones will be supported with a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Below are some highlights, or you can view the complete benefits package by visiting www.benefits.vmware.com.
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Medical Coverage, Retirement, and Parental Leave Plans for All Family Types
- Generous Time Off Programs
- 40 hours of paid time to volunteer in your community
- Rethink's Neurodiversity program to support parents raising children with learning or behavior challenges, or developmental disabilities
- Financial contributions to your ongoing development (conference participation, trainings, course work, etc.)
- Wellness reimbursement and online fitness and wellbeing classes
This job requisition is not eligible for employment-based immigration sponsored by VMware.